Stop Smoking Medication: Nicotine Gum
The stop smoking medication, nicotine gum, is a gum-like product that delivers a dose of nicotine through the lining of your mouth to lessen the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal while quitting smoking. These quit smoking products are available at most pharmacies without a prescription. While it will not give you the same levels of nicotine as smoking, it will help reduce cravings so you can focus on the behaviors to help you quit smoking.Many people don't understand why you would want to use a nicotine product when trying to quit smoking. The nicotine in cigarettes is extremely addicting. In fact, the tobacco companies have added the perfect concoction of chemicals to be sure that you get the most nicotine absorbed with each puff; ensuring you are addicted. By using an NRT, like the gum, you are helping to wean yourself off of the nicotine, the physically addicting component.
USE:This stop smoking medication is generally produced in 2- and 4-mg doses, with 2mg being approximately equivalent to one cigarette. Generally, it can be used up to 12-weeks with no more than 24 pieces per day. Always read the manufacturers directions and follow the advice of your health care provider. It works best if it is used on a regular schedule (one piece every 1-2 hours or as directed).
- Bite the gum until you feel a tingling sensation or you taste the nicotine. Do not continue to chew it like regular gum.
- "Chew & Park" - once you feel the tingling, "park" the gum in your cheek. Once the tingling sensations goes away,chew the gum until tingling returns again.
- The average use is for 30 minutes - one the tingling/taste goes away, discontinue.
- Avoid beverages and food prior to and during use - this will reduce the effectiveness of the gum. Rinse your mouth with water before using the gum
- Gradually you will decrease the dose over time during the quit smoking process.
- Do not smoke while using quit smoking gum (it contains nicotine);
- The safety of using this quit smoking product during pregnancy is unproven;
- If you have heart disease, inform your provider before using this stop smoking aid;
- Keep this and all medication out of reach of children and pets.
From Stop Smoking Medication - Nicotine Gum back to Quit Smoking Products page